April 21st, 2020 GRRRRR!!!!!! MONSTERS!!


GRRRRR!!!!!!  MONSTERS!!



Most of us LOVE monsters, right? I mean especially the ones in our favorite books. I love monsters, mythical beasts, aliens... basically any made up character! I love how authors' and illustrators' imaginations go wild and show us ways of being that we never even thought of! Some of my most favorite characters are monsters: Grover, Frankenstein, Wild Things, Chewbacca! (Is he a monster or an alien? Both maybe?)



 Anyway, that brings me to a really cool drawing activity that I saw on Carson Ellis' website. If you don't know Carson Ellis, she illustrated a lot of great children's books including Du Iz Tak? , Home, and Wildwood. She also lives right here in Oregon, has 2 kids, and has been posting some really fun activities on her website. (Her husband is a famous musician that your parents might know...)


 Anyway, she did a cool drawing challenge where you describe a monster to a friend, and they draw it. The trick is that the friend can't see the monster that you're telling them about, they just draw based on what you tell them.


I'm not great with coming up with my own monsters so I thought it would be fun to pick a favorite monster from a book and describe it to my partner and see if they can guess which book it came from! 

I'm going to try this later with my kids and post our drawings here! 

Did you do this activity? Send me a picture of your drawings! 

Grrrrrrrraaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!

EDIT: Here's ours! I had my daughter draw my favorite character (without her knowing who!) How did we do? 

Comments

Popular Posts